Friday, January 27, 2012

Emotional Foods....


Food and emotions are undeniably connected. I remember as a young child hiding food (mostly apples, which I don't even like) in my closet because I was afraid that for some reason, I would not be granted another meal and therefore starve.  All to often I would find those apples weeks later because, of course, I never went without a meal.  My fears and emotions were irrational, but still I had them and to me, they seemed very rational.


Most often when you think of emotional eating you think of over eating.  You feel sad so you eat a carton of ice cream.  You had a stressful day at work so you have need reward in the form of a king size snickers bar.  But what about those who are plagued with emotion eating - that is in the form of starvation?  I didn’t do well on my review so I’ll go without dinner.  I put on some pounds after the holidays so I should just have a handful of Cheerios.  Unfortunately both forms of emotional eating exist and can be very real and very challenging.

I am hoping through this blog to explore the causes and “cures” for emotional eating.  I hope to gain more information for myself as well as provide information, stories, recipes and more.  



“We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” 

 David MametBoston Marriage


Photo By: David Prince



3 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic. I am excited to read your post I know many "emotional" eaters and honestly do not quite understand it that well, so I am very excited to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! I am really interested in the topic because all too often these issues go untouched when trying to help someone or when someone is trying to help themselves live a healthy lifestyle. If you have anything you'd like more information about or ideas, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great topic! Our eating is a very personal context - I think as RD's we should also have some social work foundation so we can help people understand why they are making choices. I am excited to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete