What’s there to do about it?
By now, you should, through reading the earlier blog posts, know that we are all at some point emotional eaters. What’s there to do about it? Here are a few things that may help.
1) Clean out the junk!
As always, it’s a good idea to do a little “spring cleaning”. At some point we all accumulate impulse purchases of unhealthy food. Take a look around the kitchen and get rid of any sort of temptations.
2) Keep a food journal
It can be very helpful to keep both an emotional and food journal. Take a few days out of the week and one weekend day to keep tabs on your food intake and how it relates to emotions. If you have a short memory, like myself, it is helpful to right down your food when you are eating. Think about how you are feeling when or right before eating. Are you happy, stressed, tired or content? It may be also be helpful to go back at the end of the day and recap your food intake and your emotions.
3) Graph
Ok, you don’t actually have to make a graph, but it’s a good idea to review your food journal to see if you find common connections between food and emotions. One of my readers commented that they like greasy/oily foods when stressed. I on the other hand go for the sweets - rocky road ice cream!
4) Substitute
Now that you know you are a salt addict or sugar addict during emotional times you can begin to find substitutes for those unhealthy cravings. For example, when I’ve had a bad day and am craving something sweet and naughty like ice cream, I treat myself to orange juice. I know it doesn’t sound as fun, but I get the the sweet, sugar that I would and to me juice is an indulgent treat!
Next week I’ll give you some foods to consume to try to alleviate some of the stress in your life. Until then, happy eating!
Hi Erin!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is so interesting and so on the money! I recenty used an Ap on my iphone called myfitnesspal to track my eating and I was totally shocked at how little calories I actually ingest, because I eat all the time. Apparently, the career we are embarking on has made me more aware than I realized on how to make smarter choices with regard to my diet. Potato chips is my weakness, and I am trying really hard to not eat them every day and am always on the lookout for a healthier substitute. Great suggestion on tracking our eating habits!
Making a chart would be so interesting to track emotional eating. Vitabot.com is the calorie tracker I use for the most part and it does allow you to make charts and graphs so they take all the work out of it for you. I agree totally that juice is an indulgence, I NEVER have it. So great idea about switching the cravings because at least you are getting some vitamins. My weakness is sweets too! I try to go for sugar free chocolate pudding (with maybe some sugar free cool whip) when I am craving them!
ReplyDeleteI have found myfitnesspal iphone app great at tracking my eating as well. I agree that as I learn more about nutrition I realize how I need to make smarter choices.
ReplyDeleteLynette